[gmx-users] Constraints not working in pull code (sometimes, sometimes not)

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 11 14:52:56 CEST 2011

Dear Krapnik:

1. please make the test cases identical, that means doing a simulation
that you may not really be interested in so that the solutes are the
same for both lipid and octane. It also means setting the
displacements to similar values in my opinion (because perhaps the
problem is based on your box size along z and choice of pull_pbcatom
for example). There is *something* strange happening, but let's
eliminate all other possibilities before assuming that there is a
problem with the source code.

2. Once you have a setup in which the only difference is octane vs.
lipid (really the only difference please -- even add your octane
pressure settings to the lipid simulation) and you find strange
behaviour for octane and not lipid, then please attempt that same
system with pull=umbrella in place of pull=constraints and see if the
solute also drifts far from its initial position.

3. Your initial definition of the problem was a little misleading.
Both Justin and I focused on third decimal place differences, but now
you are saying that there is nm-scale motion along z. Please report
those values for your test systems, which are outlined above, after
you redo your tests with identical settings other than the switch from
lipid to octane. -- I no longer thing that a double precision test is
necessary if you are seeing nm-scale movement along z.

4. Perhaps I was a little hasty to complain about a bug-report style
post. I did like all of the information that you provided. I just got
the impression from your title and the end of your post that you
thought it was a problem with gromacs (which it may still be) and I
think that this is generally a counter-productive attitude because it
hinders one from making the proper tests.

Chris