[gmx-users] strange vdw energy from rerun with GBSA model.

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 11 16:23:34 CEST 2011

On 11/08/2011 10:22 PM, Da-Wei Li wrote:
> Dear Mark and others
>
> I did more tests and thought that it might come from numerical error.
> The reasons are
>
> 1. If I use .trr file instead of the low precision xtc file, things
> become better, ie, I get much less snapshots that has high energy.

That doesn't make sense if the underlying frames are the same in your
.xtc and .trr files. However, if you're talking about different numbers
of frames, then you probably have transient periodicity artefacts.

> 2. I supplied -pforce in my mdrun -rerun and found that the high vdw
> energy was usually caused by one pair of atoms, whose distance was
> just very near the clash zone, so that small error on the coordinates
> would cause large energy error. The force is always around 10000.

Sounds like you have a non-equilibrium trajectory (from your EM?), in
which case small deviations can have large effects.

> 3. Actually bond length and bond angle energies are also affected. I
> can fully reproduce these two energies if I use .trr file in my rerun
> but will get several tens of kj/mol error if I use .xtc file, for a
> protein of size of 100 AA.

Several tens of kJ/mol error in the non-bonded energy looks OK compared
to the magnitude of the non-bonded energy. Anyway, if your purpose is to
compare energies computed from the same configurations, then you should
use the same configurations for computing the energies, not
approximations to those configurations.

> Now the question I still have is whether numerical error can be so
> large? The xtc file has a precision of 0.001 nm. Anyway, I will test
> more by using double precision Gromacs and define energy groups so
> that I can compare energy of protein directly between original MD and
> rerun.
>

> To Mark only
>
> Thanks. Here it is my script for
>
>  rerun:    mdrun -v -s pbsa.tpr -rerun coor.xtc -e rerun
> superpose:  trjconv -s em.tpr -f coor.xtc -o nojump.xtc -pbc nojump
> (em.tpr is generated for energy minimization, protein is in the middle
> of the box)

Here you are generating a nojump trajectory file, but you are not doing
your rerun on it. That could explain some symptoms - you might not have
whole molecules.

Mark