[gmx-users] strange vdw energy from rerun with GBSA model.

Da-Wei Li lidawei at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 16:31:37 CEST 2011

Hello

Please see my response below.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>wrote:

>  On 11/08/2011 10:22 PM, Da-Wei Li wrote:
>
> Dear Mark and others
>
> I did more tests and thought that it might come from numerical error. The
> reasons are
>
> 1. If I use .trr file instead of the low precision xtc file, things become
> better, ie, I get much less snapshots that has high energy.
>

> That doesn't make sense if the underlying frames are the same in your .xtc
> and .trr files. However, if you're talking about different numbers of
> frames, then you probably have transient periodicity artefacts.

They are the same but different precision. I used a mdp file without PBC. I
believe this is reasonable because I can fully reproduce the bond length and
angle energy if I use trr file but cannot reproduce if I use .xtc file.

> 2. I supplied -pforce in my mdrun -rerun and found that the high vdw energy
> was usually caused by one pair of atoms, whose distance was just very near
> the clash zone, so that small error on the coordinates would cause large
> energy error. The force is always around 10000.
>

> Sounds like you have a non-equilibrium trajectory (from your EM?), in which
> case small deviations can have large effects.

No. It is from a stable NPT trajectory with explicit water models. The
forces are around 10000 but are not larger.

> 3. Actually bond length and bond angle energies are also affected. I can
> fully reproduce these two energies if I use .trr file in my rerun but will
> get several tens of kj/mol error if I use .xtc file, for a protein of size
> of 100 AA.
>

> Several tens of kJ/mol error in the non-bonded energy looks OK compared to
> the magnitude of the non-bonded energy. Anyway, if your purpose is to
> compare energies computed from the same configurations, then you should use
> the same configurations for computing the energies, not approximations to
> those configurations.

That is why I say precesion in xtc file is not enough for bond length, angle
potential and vdw potential.

> Now the question I still have is whether numerical error can be so large?
> The xtc file has a precision of 0.001 nm. Anyway, I will test more by using
> double precision Gromacs and define energy groups so that I can compare
> energy of protein directly between original MD and rerun

As Justin suggested, increase cutoff in rerun can remove the vdw energy
spike.

> To Mark only
>
> Thanks. Here it is my script for
>
>  rerun:    mdrun -v -s pbsa.tpr -rerun coor.xtc -e rerun
> superpose:  trjconv -s em.tpr -f coor.xtc -o nojump.xtc -pbc nojump
> (em.tpr is generated for energy minimization, protein is in the middle of
> the box)
>

> Here you are generating a nojump trajectory file, but you are not doing
> your rerun on it. That could explain some symptoms - you might not have
> whole molecules.

I am very sorry for this typo. I do use the nojump.xtc in my rerun.