[gmx-users] berendsen P coupling and fluctuation properties

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 16 01:34:36 CEST 2011

On 16/08/2011 7:05 AM, Elisabeth wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I noticed that applying Parrinello-Rahman (PR) pressure coupling even
> after equilibration with berendsen does not lead to target value for
> pressure when
>
> ;        Bonds
> constraints             = none
>
> is used.

The use of constraints and the integration step size is linked. Roughly
speaking, no constraints should accompany a 0.5 fs time step, H-bond
constraints with 1fs and all constraints with 2fs. Haphazard changes to
.mdp files have all kinds of these "gotchas".

> I tried Berendsen for to get fixed pressure ( 50 bar) but in the next
> run PR even for long time is giving 52 bar. This is the case for other
> target pressures too.

You need to be sure to collect statistics only after equilibration, and
consider whether the observed variation is consistent with convergence
to a given value.

> So this made me select Berenden which is giving target pressure values
> but my concern is whether my results are reliable because BR does not
> give the exact ensemble as PR. I read somewhere on the list that
> fluctuation properties can not be calculated when BR is used.  What
> does "fluctuation property" mean?

BR does not produce the correct ensemble. I forget the details about
why, but there are references in the T-coupling section of the manual
you should consider.

> Does this mean that any property calculated form fluctuations of some
> other quantity can not be obtained>? like heat capacity which is
> defined based on enthalpy fluctuations?

IIRC, yes.

> I am interested in potential energy terms (g_energy bonded/non boned
> terms)

I routinely struggle to see why people think they can learn anything
from these.