[gmx-users] berendsen P coupling and fluctuation properties

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 16 19:17:43 CEST 2011

Elisabeth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you. I am looking at potential energies to calculate vaporization
> heat. I wanted to know how the fact that berendsen does not lead to
> correct ensemble is affecting total potential energy of the system. I
> have an unclear image of "correct ensemble". Does this mean whatever
> output I am getting from my runs are unreliable?

The Berendsen coupling algorithms produce very narrow distributions of
temperature and pressure.  These do not correspond to the correct distribution
of a true statistical mechanical ensemble; plot a histogram and you'll find that
the results are shockingly different between Berendsen and, say, Nose-Hoover for
T.  Therefore, the ensemble you're using to measure your properties is not NPT
(or NVT, in the case of thermostat only), it's something undefined and likely
not real.  Applying better thermostats and barostats that have been shown to
produce the correct distributions is more rigorously correct.

The effects are usually not terribly noticeable unless you go looking for them.
  You'll find that the Berendsen algorithms quite faithfully give you the target
T and P that you desire (which does make them very good for initial
equilibration) and so you naturally assume that everything is fine.  While
that's all well and good in one sense, the fluctuations of T (and thus
velocities, and thus kinetic energy) are wrong.  If KE does not fluctuate
properly, then neither does PE (since you're then affecting energy flow between
PE and KE, while total energy stays fixed, in theory).

The larger point is that if you claim to apply an NVT (or NPT) ensemble using
Berendsen coupling, you're not correct, strictly speaking.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar