[gmx-users] Sampling windows

XAvier Periole x.periole at rug.nl
Wed Jan 5 18:45:39 CET 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Gavin Melaugh wrote:

> Hi Xavier
>
> Many thanks. Two more quick questions (both refering to barrier
> region):
> Does the value of the force constant affect the height of the barrier
> providing that there is reasonable overlap?
No! The force constant used does not affect the PMF or the barrier.
Neither
does the number of windows used. The only thing that can affect your
PMF is a change in the sampling you put in ...
> Obviously there is a
> compromise between the size of the constant and the number of windows.
True! And the objective being to get equilibrated distribution with
reasonable
overlaps.
> If I increase the force constant and number of windows to obtain a
> high
> density of sampling, does this give a more accurate curve?
No! The only thing you need is to sample everything. Actually putting a
strong force constant might have the side effect to trap your system and
then you do not sample the "free" degrees of freedom! With weak force
constant you may have to wait very long to obtain an equilibrated
distribution.

XAvier.

> Gavin
>
> XAvier Periole wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Gavin Melaugh wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Xavier
>>>
>>> Many thanks for the reply. When I compare the two curves
>>> Curve 1) lack of overlap in barrier region; force constant = 1000
>>> Curve 2) with increased number of sampling windows with increased
>>> force
>>> constant (note I have only increased the force constant of the