[gmx-users] charge group radii larger that rlist-rvdw

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jan 21 19:57:19 CET 2011

Kavyashree M wrote:
> Sir,
>
>    What exactly can be wrong with the topology? As I tried with

I don't know, what's in your system?  Was the topology created entirely by
pdb2gmx, or have you introduced some other molecules that you've parameterized?

> different PDBs of same structure at higher resolutions too, I am getting
> almost similar charge group radii, so can you kindly elaborate about
> what can go wrong in the topology to get such values?

Large charge groups indicate that a fair number of atoms have been included in
the same charge group.  Usually only two or three atoms are in a charge group,
rendering them fairly small.  With PME, the effects may not be that large, i.e.
http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-November/056219.html, but it's
still worth investigating what your largest charge group is that's causing this
problem.  If the topology is sound and is based entirely upon standard force
field files, it may suffice to simply increase rlist to 1.4 nm, leaving all the
other cutoffs at 1.0, which I believe is standard for OPLS (but don't just take
my word for it).

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate