[gmx-users] charge group radii larger that rlist-rvdw

Kavyashree M hmkvsri at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 17:45:02 CET 2011

I went through few papers related to OPLS-AA, but could not find
any specific values mentioned for vdw and coulomb intecations..
In one of the papers
".....In most cases, the intermolecular nonbonded interactions were
truncated at 11Å based on roughly the center-of-mass separations
with quadratic smoothing of the interaction energy to zero over the
last 0.5 Å. The cutoff for alkenes and acetals was 13 Å, while for
propanol, cyclohexane, 2-methyl-2-propanol, phenol, ethyl methyl
sulfide, NMA, DMA, and NMP it was extended to 15 Å....."
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1996, 118, 11225-11236.

So does this cut off refer to coulombic interactions?
is it correct if iI use the following parameters for OPLS-AA force field?

;NEIGHBOUR SEARCHING
nstlist         = 10                    ; FREQUENCY WITH WHICH NEIGHBOURLIST
IS UPDATED
ns_type         = grid                  ; TYPE OF NEIGHBOUR SEARCH GRID OR
SIMPLE
pbc             = xyz                   ; DIRECTION OF PERIODIC BOUNDARY
CONDITIONS USAGE
rlist           = 1.4                  ; CUT-OFF DISTANCE FOR SHORT RANGE
NEIGHBOUR LIST

;ELECTROSTATICS
coulombtype     = PME                   ; METHOD FOR CALCULATING COULOMIC
INTERCATION - PARTICLE MESH EWALD
rcoulomb        = 1.4                  ; CUTOFF DISTANCE FOR ELECTROSTATIC
INTERACTIONS
epsilon_r       = 1                     ; RELATIVE DIELECTRIC CONSTANT

;VAN DER WAALS
vdwtype         = Switch                ; METHOD FOR TREATING VANDERWAAL'S
FORCES
rvdw_switch     = 0.9
rvdw            = 1.00                  ; CUTOFF DISTANCE FOR LJ OR
BUCKINGHAM INTERACTIONS

Thanks
MKS