[gmx-users] R:Re: R: Re: g_mindist on rhombic dodecahedron system

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 12 17:44:51 CEST 2011

Anna Marabotti wrote:
> I hope this will be the last message on this subject...sorry to bother you,
> but I'd need another hint about analysis.
> All OK about the new reference file that I created following Justin's
> suggestions.
> The problem now is that my protein is a homodimeric protein, and when I do:
> g_rmsf -f prot_boxdodfull_mol.xtc -s prot_boxdodfull_0ns_fix.gro -o
> prot_boxdodfull_rmsf.xvg
>
> the .xvg file comes with the analyses of both subunits superimposed. I tried
> to avoid this first creating a .pdb file from the
> prot_boxdodfull_0ns_fix.gro file:
> editconf -f prot_boxdodfull_0ns_fix.gro -s prot_boxdodfull_0ns_fix.pdb
>
> then adding the chain identifiers "A" and "B" to my .pdb file (I simply
> edited it), and finally I used
> g_rmsf -f prot_boxdodfull_mol.xtc -s prot_boxdodfull_0ns_fix_chain.pdb -o
> prot_boxdodfull_rmsfchain.xvg
>
> but still the .xvg file appears with the data about the two chains
> superimposed.
> I also tried to create an .ndx file, in which I created two groups (chA and
> chB), but it seems to me that they are not suitable for my need.

Why not?  This seems like the most obvious solution.  If you analyze both chains
independently, isn't that what you're trying to achieve?

If you want to completely eliminate any reliance on chain identifiers or
overlapping numbers, either (1) eliminate all chain IDs or (2) make them all the
same, and then use genconf to renumber the whole coordinate file from 1.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar