[gmx-users] large error bars in PMF

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jul 22 14:13:24 CEST 2011

chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:
> I don't see why the box-type makes any difference whatsoever. It is
> possible that if you use a rhombic dodecahedron, you may reduce the
> system size, thus simulate more ns/day, thus converge faster, but that
> should be the only effect. I would be interested to hear more from
> Justin about how the box-shape is expected to affect peptide rotation...
> perhaps I misunderstand this point.

My point was not that the box shape has any effect on protein rotation.  That
will happen regardless of the box shape, of course.  My suggestion for this box
type was that since Rebeca has a system that is essentially spherically
symmetric (i.e. two proteins connected by some arbitrary vector, which are at
the same time rotating freely), then she must use a suitable box shape that
reflects this type of symmetry.  I never got a clear answer to whether or not
the weird interactions she cited were due to PBC or not, but if one uses a
rectangular box for a system like this one, there can be artificial interactions
very easily.

> I have a few other comments.
>
> 1. If you allow the peptide to rotate freely, then you do indeed need to
> converge all of their different rotational interactions. An alternative
> is to apply orientational restraints during the pulling (assuming that
> you know the bound state) and then to correct to an unrestrained state
> at large separations. You can see, for instance,  D. L. Mobley, J. D.
> Chodera, K. A. Dill. "On the use of orientational restraints and
> symmetry number corrections in alchemical free energy calculations", ...
>
> 2. You are using "pull_dim = N N Y" which, if I haven't entirely
> forgotten how the pull-code works, means that the distance along Z is
> restrained but the distance along X and Y is free to change. What you
> end up with by sampling in this way is pretty strange and will require a
> really weird volumetric correction in the absence of infinite sampling
> time. You must decide to either: (i) pull to a spherical distance:
>
> pull_dim = Y Y Y
> pull_geometry = distance
>
> or (ii) to pull along a defined vector
>
> pull_dim = Y Y Y
> pull_geometry = direction

Just a note here - if you set direction geometry, the pull_dim keyword is not
used, but pull_vec is.

-Justin