[gmx-users] umbrella sampling

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sat Jul 30 05:59:51 CEST 2011

format your data for 2D-WHAM with 1D being the distance and the 2nd-D
being your other coordinate of interest. Specify a value of zero for
the force constants for your 2nd-D. Run 2D-WHAM. Boltzmann project the
2D PMF onto your 2nd-D.

I think you can also do essentially the same thing by re-weighting
using the F-values from 1D-WHAM, but I find the above method to be the
simplest. It also provides you with a 2D free energy profile, which
can be informative both biologically and to indicate on sampling
problems.

Note that you're very likely going to run into convergence problems
since your 2nd-D will rely on brute-force to converge, and worse: the
umbrellas in 1D can force the sampling in the 2nd-D to surmount energy
barriers that might be circumvented in unrestrained sampling.

Chris.