[gmx-users] Re: distance/direction PMF

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 8 15:30:33 CEST 2011

Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> Hi Justin
>
> Many thanks for the reply I know technically I am doing two different
> things. However due to my starting conifgurations in both cases I would
> expect similar results.
> Could you confirm the following points
>
> 1) In pull_geometry=distance, and pull_dim =YYY; is the absolute
> distance between the COM of both groups in all directions considered ?

Yes.

> 2) In pull_geometry = direction, with a specified vector; I assume that
> it is the distance between the two groups along this vector that is
> considered?

Should be.  Compare the output of g_dist with what grompp reports as the initial
distance.

> 3) Is the specified vector taken to be the vector connecting the two
> points? Therefore are the desired distances in the mdp files essentially
> the magnitudes of this vector at each window.

Per the documentation, grompp normalizes the vector, so no, not directly.  But
if you have proper settings for pull_init/pull_start, then the reference
distance should be correctly calculated along the specified vector for each window.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee