[gmx-users] cyclic peptide on GROMACS compatoble with Charmm (all-atom) force field

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 17 22:29:39 CEST 2011

On 18/06/2011 1:13 AM, udaya kiran marelli wrote:
> Dear GROMACS users,
>
> I am trying to construct a cyclic hexa peptide containing all Ala
> residues.  During pdb2gmx conversion using the command    (pdb2gmx -ff
> charmm27 -ignh -f TESTALA.pdb -o TESTALA.gro -ter)  it gave the
> following error while I am demanding the program to give uncharged
> termini (option :  None)
>
> WARNING: atom HN is missing in residue ALA 1 in the pdb file
>         You might need to add atom HN to the hydrogen database of
> residue ALA
>         in the file ff???.hdb (see the manual)

With -ignh you told it to strip away all the H atoms, and that requires
that pdb2gmx knows how to rebuild them (or doesn't need to know).

> Program pdb2gmx, VERSION 4.0.5
> Source code file: pdb2top.c, line: 704
>
> Fatal error:
> There were 1 missing atoms in molecule Protein, if you want to use
> this incomplete topology anyhow, use the option -missing
>
> In the .hdb file the atom HN is defined already.  The error is that it
> is removing the #HN# atom from the Ala 1 residue at the cyclization point.

If you mean that the the cyclization is achieved with a peptide bond
from "N-terminal" N to "C-terminal" C, you will have to use the
specbond.dat mechanism to achieve that. See chapter 5.

The problem arises because HN is defined in the .hdb in terms of C in
the preceding residue, which is not applicable in your case, because
there is not a regular peptide bond.

Rather than the "brute force" -ignh mechanism, there may be a better
approach (like removing particular offending hydrogen atoms from your
input coordinate file) that doesn't require pdb2gmx to need to know how
to rebuild HN.

Mark