[gmx-users] Pressure Fluctuations

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 16 16:58:25 CET 2011

Kavyashree M wrote:
> Thank you Justin,
>
>    When I went through most of the mailing list the fluctuations are not
> so high
> and even in the FAQ it was mentioned in the range of 500-600 bar for 216
> water.

You cannot always assume that rules of thumb and others' results will (or
should) necessarily match your own.  Unless you are using identical input files,
you won't necessarily get the same results.  Much of the fluctuation information
is probably based on the Berendsen thermostat, which does not oscillate as much
as Parrinello-Rahman.  Other factors in the .mdp file will influence these
statistics, since both the kinetic energy of the system and the virial are used
to calculate pressure (see the manual).

> And more over the average pressure was ~6bar instead of 1bar which was
> required.

And with fluctuations +/- 1000, is 6 really all that different from 1?  There
was an extensive discussion some time back about this.  I would suggest you have
a look through the archive.

>   So would you suggest that I can proceed with this file for the
> production run without
> any problem. I was following your lysozyme tutorial where fluctuations
> were much
> less.. hence I suspected some problem in this data.

The lysozyme system has nearly twice the number of waters that your system has
(over 10,000), hence the fluctuations will be much smaller, and even then, the
pressure oscillates by +/- 400 or so.

Again, I see no problem here.  What you report is what is to be expected.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080