R: Re: [gmx-users] simulation of a peptide anchored to a support

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu May 19 15:31:08 CEST 2011

On 19/05/2011 8:10 PM, Anna Marabotti wrote:
> Dear Mark,
> thank you for suggestions. I suspected that freezegrps does not work with
> NPT but I'm not sure that position restraints work with the same final
> effect.
> Concerning fixing the peptide on the simulation box, I would like to
> simulate as much as possible the fact that the peptide is fixed on a rigid
> support, so I'd like to avoid a peptide that rotates and fluctuates into the
> simulation box. I wonder if there is a way to fix the peptide like a handle
> in one of the walls of the box itself (obviously, in the internal part of
> the box).

If the box is periodic, then there is no wall to it. If the box is not
periodic, then you have bigger problems to solve.

It sounds to me like you're trying to model something that is not
reality. The peptide "fixed on a rigid support" still interacts with the
support and the solvent (e.g. the support generates ordered solvent,
which affects the peptide), and any attempt to artificially reduce the
degrees of freedom of the simulation runs the risk that you have
constructed your observations in advance through choosing your initial
conditions.

Mark