[gmx-users] Pressure very high with chloroform and gromacs-4.5.5

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 12 07:24:35 CEST 2011

On 12/10/2011 2:22 AM, Nuno Azoia wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I found something very strange while making a CHCl3 box using gromacs-4.5.5.
> A look the mailing list, the manual and some release notes for
> gromacs-4.5 and I couldn't found the answer for my problem. It's
> possible that I'm doing something wrong, but I can not find what, so
> I'm describe my problem.
>
> I start a chloroform box from scratch, using genconf, and I get o
> chloroform box with 1000 molecules. I get energy minimization without
> problems.
> Then I've run some equilibration steps in a NVT ensemble and in the
> end I get pressure in the order of hundreds of bar.

The high pressure is not itself a problem - small numbers of molecules
and short simulation times lead to doubtful statistics for pressure.

>   Then I change to
> NPT conditions and both the pressure and the volume keep increasing
> with time.

Be sure to visualize your trajectory to confirm its behaviour matches
what you expect from the trends in P and V.

> To discard the possibility of a size problem, I repeat everything with
> a box of 27000 molecules, with a volume of ~13800 nm^3. The problem
> was the same. Very high pressures (150-200 bar) and very low densities
> (<  200 g/L) after 750 ps simulation time. And both volume and pressure
> increasing with time.
>

> I'm doing now the same procedure, but using gromacs-4.0.7 and I'm
> getting very different (and better) results. After energy minimization
> I run 50000 steps in a nvt ensemble and I got pressure around -30 bar
> (Ok for me). After that I start to run the simulations in npt ensemble
> and the pressure start to increase slowly, with negative values
> because the system have very low densities (~400 g/L), and the volume
> is decreasing. So I'm getting the normal reaction from the system.
>

> Where is the problem? There are some different parameters to set in
> the mdp file and I didn't realize that, or is this a problem in
> gromacs-4.5?

It seems you are generating some numerical instability with your choice
of initial and simulation conditions, and that gromacs-4.0 was luckier
in avoiding the problem. If this is a parallel simulation, then the way
communication is managed in order to organize T and P coupling changed
going up to 4.5. For equilibration, I would encourage setting nsttcouple
and nstpcouple to 1. Using a shorter time step can help with numerical
instability. Berendsen T coupling or a larger coupling time constant
might also help. After gentler NVT, then switch to NPT, let the box size
stabilize, and finally move to larger coupling periods, time steps and
v-rescale T coupling.

Mark