[gmx-users] mktop

ram bio rmbio861 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 22:01:29 CEST 2011

Dear Justin,

As i generated the protein-ligand docked complex using opls FF, for the
consistency, i am trying to use opls ff generated ligand parameters during
md simulations in lipid bi layer. I found that MKTOP can generate topology
files using opls ff for small molecules.

 I have also tried  swiss param to generate the ligand parameters to be used
in protein ligand simulation using gromacs. The force field i am using for
simulations is OPLS. My ligand contains an azido group and a tropane ring
with protonated nitrogen. SwissParam force field has been designed to be
compatible with the Charmm force field, but they are not tested on
opls.Using the ligand topologies from  swissparam, i was able to run the MD
simulations using gromacs with opls without errors (swissparam - gromacs
tutorial), only issues being the charges on the ligand, so i generated
various input files (mol2 files) for swissparam with charges generated
using ambcc1, gastergier and MMFF. But the itp files obtained from
swissparam had same charges for the ligand atoms irrespective of the input
provided i.e. charged or uncharged mol2 files, and

As per Gromacs website:

"Note that an .itp
file<http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/.itp_File>will
be specific to a given force field, and will only function when
included by a .top
file<http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/.top_File>that
has previously included the .itp
files <http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/.itp_File> for that
force field. Appropriate use of the #define and #ifdef mechanisms can permit
the same .itp file<http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/.itp_File>to
work with multiple force fields, e.g.
share/top/water.itp."

so, i think even though the swissparam generated topologies based on MMFF
fit to charmm (based on testing), they could also be used with opls. It was
informed by swiss param team  that the ligand parameters generated by
swissparam could also be used with opls FF in principle as they are based on
MMFF
So, in order to cross check or validate my results i was trying to use mktop
to generate the ligand topologies for MD simulations.

Please let me know your comments and suggestions on the procedure ,
regarding the compatibility of MMFF generated topologies to be used by OPLS
and other methods to validate my results.

Thanks,

Pramod