[gmx-users] REMD and GBSA

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 14 18:11:15 CEST 2011

On 14/10/2011 10:12 AM, Ben Reynwar wrote:
> Hi gromacs list,
>
> I'm about to start some REMD simulations using generalized Born
> solvent on a protein of about 5000 atoms.  I have two questions, the
> first of which is about gromacs, the second more about REMD in
> general.
>
> (1)
> I'm getting some pretty ugly energy drift (300K->500K in 1 ns) for an
> NVE MD test simulation using a 2 fs time step.  It goes away if I use
> 1 fs, however I was under the impression that 2 fs is normally OK.  I
> was wondering whether that could be caused by the use of the cut-off
> method which is required with the coloumb and VdW interactions when
> using GBSA?  Or perhaps I'm doing something else wrong.  I'll include
> the mdp file I'm using at the bottom of the email in case anyone feels
> like pointing out my foolishness to me.

Drift is normal if you use 2fs with hbond constraints. all-bond
constraints are necessary for 2fs.

> (2)
> I've been analyzing some data from an REMD simulation by my
> predecessor and see very slow replica flow rates.  They are about two
> orders of magnitude smaller than the idealized rate of the exchange
> attempt frequency multiplied by the acceptance fraction (exchanges are
> attempted every 2 ps with a 0.4 acceptance fraction).  If I look at
> the energy distribution for a given replica/temperature combination
> over a time scale of around 1 ns, it is clearly shifted from the
> average energy distribution for that temperature.  The timescale for
> changes in this energy shift is around 10 ns.  My current theory for
> the slow rate of replica flow is that the slow fluctuations in the
> energy of the protein are limiting replica flow, since a replica with
> lower than average energy will tend to remain at the bottom of the
> temperature range, while those with higher than average energies will
> tend to remain at the top.  Has anyone else observed this kind of
> behavior?  Is my reasoning wrong in any obvious way?

A replica with "lower than average energy" *for that temperature* will
tend to drift down the temperature ladder in favour of another.

One can observe blockages in replica flow. If all the replicas below a
given temperature are in regions of configuration space that cannot
access PE high enough to have a significant chance of exchanging above
that temperature, then flow does not occur (and vice-versa, of course).
If one were to sample a FES that had two minima that should be sampled
in a 2:1 ratio, but started from a 1:1 ratio and did not have a high
enough temperature range to cross the barrier, then the exchange
acceptance rate can look good when nothing useful is occurring - the
observation will necessarily be that these minima are equally likely.
The two groups are actually engaging in disjoint flow, and one needs to
look at metrics other than the acceptance rate to observe it. The only
way to deal with such a bottleneck is to have replicas at a high enough
temperature that both groups can exchange to those temperatures - only
now can barrier crossing occur. These kinds of phenomena can certainly
occur over short time scales in localized regions of configuration and
temperature space.

Mark