[gmx-users] improper OPLS dihedrals in gromacs

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 19 16:37:29 CEST 2011

On 20/10/2011 12:26 AM, mu xiaojia wrote:
> Dear GMX-users,
>
> I found a question in 2009 asking which format of improper does
> OPLS dihedral gromacs use. I have the same question, is it periodic or
> harmonic?

The quote below clearly says they are implemented as proper periodic
dihedrals.

> If it is periodic, why in its ffbonded.itp file: #define
> improper_O_C_X_Y 180.0 43.93200 2 what do they mean?

These defined macros are used in the .rtp file, as your quote says. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_preprocessor#Macro_definition_and_expansion.
The types of numbers and their order match that for dihedral type 1 or
4, which are periodic. If they matched some other order then another
dihedral type would be implied - though this is admittedly a bit
perverse. See table 5.5. in the manual.

> Also, when I plug in tinker's improper dihedrals(which should be
> harmonic) into gromacs, the results matches well whith each
> other(tinker and gromacs). Does it suggest that gromacs uses a
> periodic dihedral?

The quote you make below confirms this.

Mark