[gmx-users] improper OPLS dihedrals in gromacs

Richard Broadbent richard.broadbent09 at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 17:05:16 CEST 2011

Dear Jia,

>I found a question in 2009 asking which format of improper does
>OPLS dihedral gromacs use. I have the same question, is it periodic or
>harmonic? If it is periodic, why in its ffbonded.itp file: #define
>improper_O_C_X_Y 180.0 43.93200 2 what do they mean?

this means that the dihedral will be calculated as:
43.93200*(1+cos(2*x+180.0)) = 43.93200*(1-cos(2*x))

>Also, when I plug in tinker's improper dihedrals(which should be
>harmonic) into gromacs, the results matches well whith each >
>other(tinker and gromacs). Does it suggest that gromacs uses a periodic
>dihedral?

I'm not sure I understand you're question as that's stated explicitly
below. However, the taylor expansion of the periodic improper is

2*x^2-(2/3)*x^4 +O(x^6)

Therefore a harmonic approximation is quite good for the interaction. (|
x|<15 degrees the error is less that 2.5%)

I hope that clears things up.

Richard