[gmx-users] Simulation of membrane protein

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 31 17:13:41 CET 2011

On 1/11/2011 3:00 AM, James Starlight wrote:
> I've done all of that
> i have "posre_lipid.itp" - for 1 lipid ( posres for each of 50 atoms )
>

> I've included this in the topology of the bilayer
>
> ; Include chain topologies
> #include "gromos53a6_lipid.ff/forcefield.itp"
> #include "dppc.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "gromos53a6_lipid.ff/spc.itp"
>
> ; Include ion topologies
> #include "gromos53a6_lipid.ff/ions.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_LIPID
> #include "posre_lipid.itp"
> #endif
>
> ; System specifications
> [ system ]
> 128-Lipid DMPC Bilayer in water
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; molecule name nr.
> DPPC 64
> SOL              1193
> SOL               690
>

> Also I've tried to make posre for whole system ( large posres ) but it
> also was finished with same error
>
> Fatal error:
> [ file posre_lipid.itp, line 6 ]:
> Atom index (2) in position_restraints out of bounds (1-1).
> This probably means that you have inserted topology section
> "position_restraints"
> in a part belonging to a different molecule than you intended to.
> In that case move the "position_restraints" section to the right molecule.
> For more information and tips for troubleshooting, please check the
> GROMACS

The text of the error is exactly right about what is wrong. Please read
and take time to understand before firing off email. You will learn more
and faster if you read and understand documentation relevant to a
situation before asking questions, and you will use less of everyone
else's volunteer time. Also, if you follow that link, you will find a
worked example of fixing your problem.

> What's most true for such multy system. Generate posre only for 1 part
> or for whole system?

It is often more profitable to understand why the error occurs, rather
than guess at the form of the solution.

Mark