[gmx-users] Simulation of membrane protein

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 31 17:13:03 CET 2011

James Starlight wrote:
> I've done all of that
> i have "posre_lipid.itp" - for 1 lipid ( posres for each of 50 atoms )
>

> I've included this in the topology of the bilayer
>
> ; Include chain topologies
> #include "gromos53a6_lipid.ff/forcefield.itp"
> #include "dppc.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "gromos53a6_lipid.ff/spc.itp"
>
> ; Include ion topologies
> #include "gromos53a6_lipid.ff/ions.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_LIPID
> #include "posre_lipid.itp"
> #endif
>
> ; System specifications
> [ system ]
> 128-Lipid DMPC Bilayer in water
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; molecule name nr.
> DPPC 64
> SOL              1193
> SOL               690
>

> Also I've tried to make posre for whole system ( large posres ) but it
> also was finished with same error
>
> Fatal error:
> [ file posre_lipid.itp, line 6 ]:
> Atom index (2) in position_restraints out of bounds (1-1).
> This probably means that you have inserted topology section
> "position_restraints"
> in a part belonging to a different molecule than you intended to.
> In that case move the "position_restraints" section to the right molecule.
>
> What's most true for such multy system. Generate posre only for 1 part
> or for whole system?

Position restraints can only be applied on a [moleculetype] basis.  Thus, order
matters a lot, and the whole system cannot be restrained in one file.  See the
example here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Atom_index_n_in_position_restraints_out_of_bounds

As it stands now, the topology you've shown tries to apply lipid position
restraints after the ions have been #included, which makes no sense at all.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee