[gmx-users] Heme group with CHARMM27 FF

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Apr 20 11:41:50 CEST 2012

On 20/04/2012 7:33 PM, Sundar Jubilant wrote:
> Dear Abraham,
>
> I am ignoring hydrogens for the protein residues since I am not sure
> if the Gromacs has an option to ignore hydrogen only for pretein
> residues but not for the heme complexed with it.

No, there is no ability to ignore them selectively - but if you want to
ignore any of them, you have to address the heme hydrogen database
issue, or go and remove the hydrogen atoms that you wish to ignore from
your input coordinate file.

> One of my colleagues suggested to treat the Heme as an ligand not as a
> part of the protein to solve this issue. How would that really affect
> the accuracy of the simulation?

It's not a question of accuracy, but rather that if you have bonded
interactions between heme and protein, they have to be part of the same
[moleculetype], which is what pdb2gmx is struggling to generate.

Mark