[gmx-users] PMF - Protein-Me​brane

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 15 17:51:10 CEST 2012

The large magnitudes of orthogonal barriers in such systems will lead to both systematic and statistical
sampling errors that motivate the application of both approaches, preferably repeated a few times each.

So I think that Justin is right, in an idealized situation. I might modify his statement to indicate that the actual
(converged) free energy is a state function, but the estimate of the free energy that you obtain from finite-time
simulations may well depend on the methodological approach. Using multiple methodological approaches and
initial conformations is a good way to ensure convergence or to identify sampling errors.

Chris.