[gmx-users] any alternative methods?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 22 14:02:35 CEST 2012

On 8/22/12 3:16 AM, Albert wrote:
> On 08/22/2012 08:23 AM, Mark Abraham wrote:
>> The authors use a 200x200 grid in their first published work with this tool.
>> What makes you think 20 is enough? (And even if it is enough, you still
>> haven't demonstrated another calculation showing that the APL with the
>> embedded protein should be different.)
>>
>> Mark
>
> Dear Mark:
>
>   thanks for kind comments. I also enlarge the grid size to 200 for my system.
> And I get similar results. What need to mention is that I've got around 160 aa
> are beruied in lipids and I don't know why only the following few were mentioned
> in calculations.

I don't know what you mean by "only the following few."  The protein is given
one area value, as shown in the output file.  The remaining lines correspond to
lipid residues, with the resid corresponding to each.  Embedded protein residues
do not factor into the APL calculation as they are not part of the grid surface
used for the calculation.  Please see our paper on GridMAT-MD and several of the
figures within that demonstrate how the algorithm is applied.

I will also echo something Mark said - how does any of this relate to the
previous claim that GridMAT-MD does not reproduce the APL of a pure bilayer?
You've changed the topic here so it's hard to judge what the question is at this
point.  Your pure POPC membrane starts out reasonably enough; if you stick a
large protein into the membrane, the structure likely changes and you're now
comparing apples and oranges.  Your protein occupies about one-third of the
total lateral area of each leaflet, which may indicate that you do not have a
membrane of sufficient size to recover bulk lipid properties that one would
expect to see far away from the protein.

-Justin

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080