[gmx-users] Topology- make bonds with certain cut-off distance

mohan maruthi sena maruthi.sena at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 15:58:09 CEST 2012

Hi ,
     Thanks for your reply.  I actually want to build an elastic
network model (ENM) for Protein containing 372 residues. According to
literature, ENM model only considers C-alpha atoms of protein and
discards rest of the atoms.The potential only considers bonded term
only. It does not
contain angle,dihedral or non-bonded term.  To build an ENM model the
specified atom makes bond with all other atoms with certain cutoff
distance. I consider the distance between two c-alpha atoms is 0.38nm
and force constant of 69.1 kj/(nm)2.I have written a code which gives
the number of  atoms around a particular atom with in certain cut-off
distance, With this i will know what are the atoms that are needed to
connect a particular atom.I have generated .gro and .top files using
pdb2gmx command .  After generating topology file , I replace bonds
section with the  connectivity information i get from code. The next
steps are equilibration and production. I am not sure whether it takes
connectivity information from topology or not. If it is not then how
can i mention it forms bonds with in certain distance . Finally , if i
run the simulation with all the above mentioned steps  and load the
trajectory in vmd , the protien gets contracted after first step.

Thanks,
Mohan