[gmx-users] Topology- make bonds with certain cut-off distance

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 27 00:38:44 CEST 2012

On 25/08/2012 11:58 PM, mohan maruthi sena wrote:
> Hi ,
>       Thanks for your reply.  I actually want to build an elastic
> network model (ENM) for Protein containing 372 residues. According to
> literature, ENM model only considers C-alpha atoms of protein and
> discards rest of the atoms.The potential only considers bonded term
> only. It does not
> contain angle,dihedral or non-bonded term.  To build an ENM model the
> specified atom makes bond with all other atoms with certain cutoff
> distance. I consider the distance between two c-alpha atoms is 0.38nm
> and force constant of 69.1 kj/(nm)2.I have written a code which gives
> the number of  atoms around a particular atom with in certain cut-off
> distance, With this i will know what are the atoms that are needed to
> connect a particular atom.I have generated .gro and .top files using
> pdb2gmx command .  After generating topology file , I replace bonds
> section with the  connectivity information i get from code. The next
> steps are equilibration and production. I am not sure whether it takes
> connectivity information from topology or not. If it is not then how
> can i mention it forms bonds with in certain distance .

You can only do this by treating your bonds as what GROMACS calls
non-bonded interactions, since only those are detected dynamically based
on distance. So setting up a neighbour-search cut-off and tabulated
interaction with the same cut-off could implement the above...

>   Finally , if i
> run the simulation with all the above mentioned steps  and load the
> trajectory in vmd , the protien gets contracted after first step.

... but since this model has only an attractive inter-particle
interaction and  no way to exclude atoms from each other's volume, it is
garbage. Rather than inventing stuff randomly, find out what has already
been done in this area and how this (very basic) issue is solved. As a
general rule, one should build on existing ideas until one has the
judgement and experience to try something radical and new.

Mark