[gmx-users] RE: Looking for GPU benchmarks

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Tue Aug 28 21:56:43 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Mathieu38 <mathieu.dubois at bull.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Thanks for your answer.
>

> The thing is that I am a benchmarker and I have no knowledge of the
> physics behind GROMACS. My goal is to demonstrate the interest (or not)
> in using GPUs for a customer test case.

I see.

> So my idea would be to do one run using the CPU only version of GROMACS,
> then modify the input file to add “cutoff-scheme = Verlet” and run the
> GPU version.

Turning on GPU acceleration is pretty much as simple as that, but
optimizing the performance is nowhere near as simple. This is, partly,
because the the problem is inherently complex, e.g. comparing the
performance of the algorithms present in 4.5.x with the new Verlet
scheme/NxN kernels is not really fair.

To give you a rough idea, with a typical bio-molecular input system on
a (balanced) Westmere + Tesla C20xx machine you can expect roughly 3x
speedup (when comparing the CPU-only runs using the Verlet scheme with
GPU accelerated runs).

> I am not sure how to modify any other parameters without changing the
> physics of the problem.

That depends very much on the simulated system and the kind of
properties one wants to look at. However, only one of my tips refers
to changing simulation parameters: picking the shortest cut-off
possible. I guess you could ask from the customer about this.

If you could share the log files of your runs it would be much easier
to spot potential bottlenecks and make concrete suggestions.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd