[gmx-users] error with grompp

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 2 13:24:18 CEST 2012

On 07/02/2012 07:00 PM, reisingere at rostlab.informatik.tu-muenchen.de wrote:
> Content of the ipt3p.itp file:
>
> ; This file is for backward compatibility only.
> ; Please directly include the tip3p.itp file from your force field directory.
> #ifdef _FF_GROMACS
> #include "gmx.ff/tip3p.itp"
> #endif
> #ifdef _FF_GROMOS96
> #include "gromos43a1.ff/tip3p.itp"
> #endif
> #ifdef _FF_OPLS
> #include "oplsaa.ff/tip3p.itp"
> #endif

amber03.ff/tip3p.itp has never contained that - you've taken it from the
top-level $GMXLIB directory, from which it can't be moved, and can't
work with AMBER force fields. This completely explains your symptoms.
Since none of those _FF_* are defined, there's no water-related content
in your .top file. However you have constructed your amber03.ff is
wrong. I'd strongly suggest getting a new copy of amber03.ff (possibly
after upgrading to GROMACS 4.5.5) and starting again. The diff tool may
be your friend here.

> I additionally included the dum.itp file since grompp seems not to "read"
> the changes I made in the several files.

Then you've done something wrong.
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field
contains the kind of procedure you need to follow.

Mark