[gmx-users] Re: question about minimisation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 26 13:14:19 CEST 2012

On 7/26/12 7:06 AM, reisingere at rostlab.informatik.tu-muenchen.de wrote:

>>> I just see that the [ position_restraints ] part is included under the
>>> [dihedral] and not between the [moleculetype] and the [atom] part. And
>>> according to the site you wrote me this is a problem, right? But this
>>> was
>>> done by gromacs itself. Shell I write it to the [moleculetype] part?
>>>

>> A [position_restraints] directive belongs to the [moleculetype] in which
>> it is
>> declared.  The original location of the #include statement produced by
>> Gromacs
>> is correct; it follows sequentially within the protein [moleculetype].
>> Your
>> inclusion of the membrane restraint file within the protein [moleculetype]
>> is,
>> however, incorrect.
>>
>>> But I can not see why it can not work that I have 2 restriction files?
>>> Can
>>> you please explain it to me?
>>>

>> You can have two restraint files for different [moleculetypes] but they
>> must be
>> organized as such.
>
> okey. So the whole thing with [atoms], [bonds], [dihedral] all contains to
> the entry in [moleculetype]  , right?

Any directive belongs to the [moleculetype] that immediately precedes it.  Once
a new [moleculetype] is declared (either directly or indirectly via #include
mechanism), you're working with a different molecule.

> But directly before I include the membrane restriction file I include the
> membrane definition:
>
> #include "amber03.ff/dum.itp"
> #ifdef POSRES
> #include "posre_memb.itp"
> #endif
>

> So I thought that it is directly after the atomtype it belongs to. I
> thought that it is the same in the case with the water, where first the
> water definition is included and after that the restriction of the water.
>
> Or am I wrong?

Well the #include statement shown here is different than the one you showed
previously, which was wrong.  Please always be sure you're providing accurate
information - it wastes less time and avoids confusion.

> I include the dummy atoms definition right after the ions. Or is this the
> wrong position?

The position of #include statements in this context is irrelevant.  You can list
the [moleculetypes] in any order you like, but the relevant dependent directives
must be contained appropriately and the order of the listing in [molecules] must
match the coordinate file.  Otherwise, it's fairly flexible.

-Justin

>   4935  4952  4950  4951     4
>   4950  4954  4952  4953     4
>   4954  4973  4972  4974     4
>
> ; Include Position restraint file
> #ifdef POSRES
> #include "posre.itp"
> #endif
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "amber03.ff/tip3p.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>     1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif
>
> ; Include topology for ions
> #include "amber03.ff/ions.itp"
>
> #include "amber03.ff/dum.itp"
> #ifdef POSRES
> #include "posre_memb.itp"
> #endif
>

>>> So you mean that it is indeed important if I call it POSRES oder
>>> DPOSRES,
>>> right?
>>>

>> Yes, syntax is crucial.  The proper way to make use of #ifdef blocks is
>> described in the manual and in the link Mark posted.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>> Research Scientist