[gmx-users] a question about ensemble

Dommert Florian dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu May 3 11:22:04 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 10:48 +0200, francesco oteri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2012/5/3 Dommert Florian <dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de>
>         On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 07:32 +0200, Albert wrote:
>         > hello:
>         >
>         >   I wondering are the three thermostat methods: Langevin,
>         Berendsen
>         > and Nose-Hoover chain are all compatible with semi-isotropy
>         coupling
>         > style? If I would like to use semi-isotropy coupling method,
>         which one
>         > would be better?
>         >
>         > thank you very much
>         >

>         Hi,
>
>         what should be coupled in a semi-isotropic manner ? I assume
>         the
>         pressure and now the question is, which thermostat to apply,
>         isn't it?
>
>         The three mentioned barostats are all of different kinds.
>         While Langevin
>         provides a thermostating method for implicit solvent, the
>         other
>         mentioned Thermostats are based on an explicit atom
>         description of the
>         system. However, the Berendsen thermostat quite old and not
>         symplectic,
>

> I remark that Langevin method is used also for explicit water system!

But there a big question arises to me. The thermostatting by Langevin is
achieved due to random kicks. If I simulate all atoms explicitly, there
is only vacuum between the atoms. Where do the random kicks come from
and how do I set gamma, which is actually related to the viscosity of
the medium I am simulating in? If my medium is vacuum, then gamma should
be zero, shouldn't it, and gamma=0 means no coupling, and hence,
Newton's equation of motion are recovered.

I am not an expert with the Langevin thermostat, so this are serious
questions that arise to me now. Furthermore I also thought, that
Langevin dynamics were exactly established for a description of a system
within a medium.

/Flo

EMail: dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de