[gmx-users] line longer than 4095 - a bug?

Marzinek, Jan j.marzinek10 at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 11 10:43:37 CEST 2012

Dear Gmx Users,

Many of you probably faced an error:

"An input file contains a line longer than 4095 characters, while the buffer passed to fgets2 has size 4095. The line starts with: '20s' "

As I noted this error comes from the changes in the topology. Gromacs somehow add " _ " and thus this problem occurs. For instance:

[ bonds ]
;  ai    aj funct            c0            c1            c2            c3
    1     2     1
    1     3     1
    1     4     1
    4     5     1
    4     6     1 _
    4    24     1
    6     7     1

I could not see " _ " using vi in my topology. However, when I copied all topology to another text editor I could. Then removing it solves the problem. Is that a bug?
This is just to inform people for the future as I have spent many hours to find out what is wrong.

Best,

Jan