[gmx-users] line longer than 4095 - a bug?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon May 14 09:32:28 CEST 2012

On 11/05/2012 6:43 PM, Marzinek, Jan wrote:
> Dear Gmx Users,
>
> Many of you probably faced an error:
>
> "An input file contains a line longer than 4095 characters, while the
> buffer passed to fgets2 has size 4095. The line starts with: '20s' "
>
> As I noted this error comes from the changes in the topology. Gromacs
> somehow add " _ " and thus this problem occurs. For instance:
>

> [ bonds ]
>
> ;aiaj functc0c1c2c3
>
> 121
>
> 131
>
> 141
>
> 451
>
> 461 _
>
> 4241
>
> 671
>

> I could not see " _ " using vi in my topology. However, when I copied
> all topology to another text editor I could. Then removing it solves
> the problem. Is that a bug?

Don't know - you haven't seen what you were doing when you observed the
weird behaviour. So far it sounds like someone has edited a file with an
editor that did not save plain text, since "20" is hexadecimal for 32,
which is the code for a space character, and maybe some other weird
character got rendered with "_".