[gmx-users] Force Constants and Unit Systems

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 17 19:10:37 CEST 2012

On 5/17/12 12:58 PM, Lara Bunte wrote:
> Hi
>

>> One cannot convert between these units, since kcal/mol is an energy term, and
>> kJ/(mol nm^2) is a force constant.
>

> This confuses me, because in the paper where that constants are from is written, I quote:
>
> "Force constant k in kcal / mol calculated by DFT"
>

> In my parametrization I have this values. Could you please explain this?

If this is a force constant for an angle, then it needs to simply be converted
to kJ/mol.  See Table 5.5 of the manual for all force constant requirements.
Your original question is not solvable; one cannot convert kcal/mol to kJ/(mol
nm^2) as you cannot create a distance term out of nothing.

-Justin

> Greetings and really thanks for your help
>
> Lara

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080