[gmx-users] Force Constants and Unit Systems

Richard Broadbent richard.broadbent09 at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 17 19:18:33 CEST 2012

Hi Lara,

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 17:58 +0100, Lara Bunte wrote:
> Hi
>

> >One cannot convert between these units, since kcal/mol is an energy term, and
> >kJ/(mol nm^2) is a force constant.
>

> This confuses me, because in the paper where that constants are from is written, I quote:
Which paper?

> "Force constant k in kcal / mol calculated by DFT"

The unit of Force is  [Mass]*[Length] /[Time]^2 = [Energy]/[Length] in
any unit system.

Therefore either they have a potential of the form 1/[Length] or they
weren't using the term correctly.

A harmonic bond must have a force constant with units [ Energy ]/
[ Length ]^2 In gromacs this is therefore kJ/(mol nm^2)

The conversion from kcal/mol to kJ/mol is easily found by googling:
kcal/mol

Richard