[gmx-users] Re: Wierd results from Umbrella sampling, (Justin A. Lemkul)

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Tue May 22 18:53:54 CEST 2012

I never worked with the MARTINI (or other coarse-grained) force field,
but this in the umbrella.mdp

title       = Umbrella pulling simulation
integrator  = md
dt          = 0.019

looks suspicious. The dt is about an order of magnitude greater than one
uses in normal (bond-)constrainted md-simulations. I know that in
coarse-grained simulations the potentials are smoother than in atomistic
force fields and one therefore could use a higher timestep, but i don't
know if you can go so high.
Anyway you should look for the umbrella potential. If the force constant
and the timestep are both too high you could get problems:
Assume a particle in a harmonic well. If the force constant is high and
the timestep too high, you wont sample the harmonic well, but 'jump'
each time from one side to the other (high force + great timestep ->
long movement).
So i would test it first with a timestep of 0.002 (same as you used for
pulling sim).