[gmx-users] Re: Wierd results from Umbrella sampling, (Justin A. Lemkul)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 22 19:15:41 CEST 2012

On 5/22/12 6:53 PM, Thomas Schlesier wrote:
> I never worked with the MARTINI (or other coarse-grained) force field, but this
> in the umbrella.mdp
>
> title = Umbrella pulling simulation
> integrator = md
> dt = 0.019
>
> looks suspicious. The dt is about an order of magnitude greater than one uses in
> normal (bond-)constrainted md-simulations. I know that in coarse-grained
> simulations the potentials are smoother than in atomistic force fields and one
> therefore could use a higher timestep, but i don't know if you can go so high.
> Anyway you should look for the umbrella potential. If the force constant and the
> timestep are both too high you could get problems:
> Assume a particle in a harmonic well. If the force constant is high and the
> timestep too high, you wont sample the harmonic well, but 'jump' each time from
> one side to the other (high force + great timestep -> long movement).
> So i would test it first with a timestep of 0.002 (same as you used for pulling
> sim).

Testing this would be good, though the MARTINI developers routinely report
timesteps of 20-40 fs as "normal" use.  I have never obtained stable
trajectories above 20 fs, but I also do not do much coarse graining.  It could
very well be that the pull code is not stable with such an integration step.

-Justin

> Am 22.05.2012 18:37, schrieb gmx-users-request at gromacs.org:
>> Thank you for your reply, Thomas. Under your explanation, I am well understood
>> of the terms: pull_k and pull_rate.
>> Here I upload both md_umbrella.mdp and md_pulling.mdp.
>> I have to mention that it is coarse gained system with Martini force field.
>>
>> At the same time, i am going to run a simulation without pull code but with
>> LINCS constraint, and also run another system with a huge pull_k but without
>> LINCS. Hope I could get some interesting information.
>>
>> With Regards,
>>
>> Jiangfeng.
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 16:36:47 +0200
>> From: Thomas Schlesier<schlesi at uni-mainz.de>
>> Subject: [gmx-users] Re: Wierd results from Umbrella, sampling (Justin
>> A. Lemkul)
>> To:<gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>>
>> Think it would be best to show the .mdp file, else we can only guess
>> what the parameters are.
>> From the histogram it looks like that the force constant of the
>> restraining potential is too low, since the histograms are really wide,
>> but pull_k1=1000 is a 'normal' value.
>> On thing which confueses me is you said that fluctuations from g_dist
>> are about 0.4nm, but in the histogram i looks like the distance
>> fluctuates about 1nm or even more. for this be sure, that you compare
>> the right distances -> if you pull only in z-direction, the only look
>> into the z-direction from the output from g_dist. Since the x, and
>> y-directions would be unaffected by the umbrella potential.
>>
>> for the error message with the constraints:
>> what happens if you run the system with constraints but without the
>> pull-code?
>>
>> for pull_k1>0 and pull_rate1=0:
>> if you're pulling with an umbrella potential pull_k1 defines the force
>> constant of the potential (hook'sches law). Let's assume you put a
>> spring to your molecule
>> with pull_rate1=0, it means that the other end of the spring doesn't
>> move, and the spring restrains the position of the molecule (molecule
>> cn't diffuse away). in umbrella sampling you want to restrian of
>> molecule (or part of it) relative to another one / part -> so pull_rate1=0
>> with pull_rate1>0, it's like you pull the spring away for the molecule,
>> spring gets strechted -> wants to relax -> molecule follows spring (like
>> that what happens in afm pulling)
>>

>> Am 22.05.2012 15:40, schriebgmx-users-request at gromacs.org:

>>> there

>>> output