[gmx-users] How GROMACS calculate the energy of hydrogen bond

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu May 31 11:54:04 CEST 2012

On 31/05/2012 7:46 PM, Acoot Brett wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> It is confusing. As you know, for the same hydrogen bond in a protein,
> the related hydrogen bond angle and bond length can vary within a
> scope during the whole simulation process, however this small
> vibration of the hydrogen bond angle and length can lead to
> significant energy change, and correspondingly the energy of a
> hydrogen bond in simulation can be varied significantly. In comparison
> with hydrophobic effect, it would be too much is the energy of the
> hydrogen bond would be  not calculated  continuously.

It isn't, if the model physics isn't paramtrized to include it
explicitly - which is the case for all the force fields in GROMACS.

> Could you give some further clarification?

What are trying to do? Measuring "the strength of a hydrogen bond"
requires you identify a state with and without it and a path between
them over which you can integrate.

Mark