[gmx-users] How GROMACS calculate the energy of hydrogen bond

lloyd riggs lloyd.riggs at gmx.ch
Thu May 31 15:00:05 CEST 2012

Dear All,

I have no clue what specifically you are trying, but I feal bad for all the physicist and quantum chemist whom have provided the software and continued to develop it.

Scanning in my free time, it seems a large amount of confusion on what people are trying to do stems from differences in what is taught textbook wise for things.

For instance a hydrogen bond to a physicist is an integration over space in 3 dimensions including time and probabilities of occupied spaces (atom position variabilities reflected even more in proteins, ie the necessity of multiple MD runs with different starting conformations), Vs.  an organic chemist whom has cut offs, ie angles between two points and set distances between two atoms which generally reflect the means of calculated chemical energies within a range (say 80-90% which represent means, but usually from raw small molecules as determinants), Vs. Biologist whom have tables which either use a set distance and angle and little account of variability over time (ie a hydrogen bond equals 1.4 kCal/mol reflecting the absolute mean), conformations in amino acids, etc...

I think with gromacs it is very precise, as even the smallest energies between two interacting atoms is taken into account with accuracy reflected by the force fields used, and how they were derived.

Good luck, your going to start seeing more and more a flood of biologist.

Stephan Watkins

-------- Original-Nachricht --------