[gmx-users] Is there a way to redirect utility output to the screen, rather than to a file?

Andrew DeYoung adeyoung at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 4 02:26:56 CEST 2012

Hi,

Sometimes, I want to take a quick look at a certain property using one of
the Gromacs utilities.  For example, I might want to use:

g_traj -f traj.trr -s topol.tpr -n index.ndx -nox -noy -b 5 -e 10 -ox
coord.xvg

to look at the z-component of the group specified in index.ndx from t = 5 ps
to 10 ps.  I can save this data in an .xvg file (coord.xvg) using the -ox
switch.

However, what if I would rather not save the data to an .xvg file (since I
just want to take a quick look)?  Does anyone know if it is possible to
redirect the output of g_traj to the screen, rather than to coord.xvg?

Thank you so much for your time!

Andrew DeYoung
Carnegie Mellon University