[gmx-users] Is there a way to redirect utility output to the screen, rather than to a file?

Peter C. Lai pcl at uab.edu
Tue Sep 4 02:31:18 CEST 2012

Have you tried to write to a named pipe? Like mkfifo coord.xvg then
g_traj -ox coord.xvg? Then tail -F coord.xvg?

I'm not sure this is less work than just letting it write the xvg and then
looking at the xvg (and deleting it later)...

On 2012-09-03 08:26:56PM -0400, Andrew DeYoung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes, I want to take a quick look at a certain property using one of
> the Gromacs utilities.  For example, I might want to use:
>
> g_traj -f traj.trr -s topol.tpr -n index.ndx -nox -noy -b 5 -e 10 -ox
> coord.xvg
>
> to look at the z-component of the group specified in index.ndx from t = 5 ps
> to 10 ps.  I can save this data in an .xvg file (coord.xvg) using the -ox
> switch.
>
> However, what if I would rather not save the data to an .xvg file (since I
> just want to take a quick look)?  Does anyone know if it is possible to
> redirect the output of g_traj to the screen, rather than to coord.xvg?
>
> Thank you so much for your time!
>
> Andrew DeYoung
> Carnegie Mellon University

Peter C. Lai			| University of Alabama-Birmingham
Programmer/Analyst		| KAUL 752A
Genetics, Div. of Research	| 705 South 20th Street
pcl at uab.edu			| Birmingham AL 35294-4461
(205) 690-0808			|