[gmx-users] How to delete atoms during MD runs?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Sep 9 00:35:08 CEST 2012

On 9/09/2012 8:26 AM, Yun Shi wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I just want to look into the conformational change of the enzyme after
> reduction of the co-factor FAD. So instead of feed into a reducing molecule
> and do some complicated QM simulation, I wonder if this way would be
> better. I understand that this is not physical.

You can't say anything about the conformational change unless you've
sampled both ensembles pretty well, which in principle should be
independent of both initial conditions. Hence not bothering much about them.

> But what could be an alternative way to look at the system evolution upon
> reduction of the co-factor?

There are alchemical free-energy methods that let you convert one to the
other mid-simulation with just an MM model, but that doesn't seem to
suit what you want to do.

Mark