[gmx-users] Smaller Area Per Lipid for DPPC Bilayer

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 18:26:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

The experimental range of diffusion coefficients are quite large for
DPPC, plus the force field and simulation parameters can have a large
impact upon the diffusion speeds seen in the simulations. We have just
published a study comparing force fields for simulating DPPC and POPC
membranes and further details on differences in lipid diffusion are
provided in the paper:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct3003157

We did not test this exact set of cut-offs with this force field.
However, from the tests we did perform using these Berger DPPC
parameters, I expect that the diffusion speeds should fall within the
experimental range using this set of cut-offs. As for the area per
lipid, what you are seeing is pretty much as I would expect with the 1.2
nm cut-offs and a dispersion correction. If you want a higher area per
lipid, you could try removing the dispersion correction or reducing the
cut-off (with the dispersion correction, we saw sensible membrane
behaviour with 1.0 nm cut-offs). Do be sure to check the lipid diffusion
rate is still sensible if you remove the dispersion correction, as it
should substantially increase when doing this (see the paper for some
more details).

Cheers

Tom

--