[gmx-users] Smaller Area Per Lipid for DPPC Bilayer

David Ackerman da294 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 12 19:21:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your response. As to my concern about incorrect areas
and diffusion, I am basing it off of other papers that simulate DPPC
bilayers.

For instance, in this paper:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3251217/figure/F12/ , they
simulate a DPPC bilayer with DiI molecules in it. I did the same
simulation, but whereas they get APL of ~.64-.65 nm^2, mine are again
~0.03-0.04 nm^2 smaller. Also, in this paper they show that the lipids
diffuse ~1.1 nm^2 over the span of 20 ns, whereas I get a much slower
rate of traveling ~1.4-1.6 nm^2 over 90 ns. As mentioned in the other
response, if I turn off dispersion correction I get higher APL
(~.65-.66 nm^2) and diffusion values that more closely match this and
other papers.

These APLs and diffusion values are similar for some other papers that
simulate DPPC bilayers.

Is it ok to have ranges this large compared to these other
simulations, and does it make physical sense to turn off the
dispersion correction for this force field?

Thanks for your time,
David