[gmx-users] Fast exchanges for REMD

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 25 00:44:11 CEST 2012

On 24/09/2012 4:49 PM, Andreas Zink wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've done some REMD simulations using a quite high exchange attempt
> frequency (10 attempts per ps) as proposed by Sindhikara et al.
> ("Exchange Often and Properly in Replica Exchange Molecular
> Dynamics",J. Chem. Theory Comput. 2010, 6, 2804–2808 ).
> Unfortunately, I have now recognized that the demux perl script cannot
> account for an EAF which is higher than the saving frequency in the
> trajectory.
>
> Comments from demux.pl:
> # If your exchange was every N ps and you saved every M ps you can
> make for
> # the missing frames by setting extra to (N/M - 1). If N/M is not
> integer,
> # you're out of luck and you will not be able to demux your
> trajectories at all.
>
> In my case exchanges every 0.1 ps and saved every 5 ps
>
> Changing the demux.pl script, so that it writes the
> "replica_index.xvg" with a higher precision (time in ps) should be no
> problem. However, my question is: will this work together with trjcat?
> Does trjcat search for the timeframe given in the first column of
> "replica_index.xvg", or does it links each line to one saved
> timeframe? If so, could I just delete the additional lines in
> "replica_index.xvg"?

IIRC trjcat is reasonably sophisticated about making sure it skips both
exchange attempts between output steps and vice-versa. I suggest you
make yourself a toy case exchanging every 10 steps and saving every 100
steps and observe the behaviour of trjcat. Please report back with your
observations so others can learn :-)