[gmx-users] Re: Fast exchanges for REMD

Andreas Zink zinkandi at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:22:55 CEST 2012

Dear all,

I could finally demux my REMD trajectories with high EAF. They look
fine, but I'm not 100% sure about it.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a "bug" in mdrun. As you migh know, the
log files contain the exchange attempts like:
> Replica exchange at step 2000 time 4
> Repl ex  0    1    2    3 x  4    5
> Repl pr        .00       1.0
However, the time value (4 in this example) is limited to 6 digits. It's
not really a bug because I think GROMACS recommends EAFs of max. 1/ps.
But if you exchange every 0.5 ps (EAF= 2/ps) you can run the simulation
for max. 99999 ps only. Otherwise your log will simply chop the time
after the decimal point, e.g.

> Replica exchange at step ... time 99999.5
>
> Replica exchange at step ... time 100000
>
> Replica exchange at step ... time 100000
>
> Replica exchange at step ... time 100001
I have written a Perl script which fixes the time values, based on the given number of steps and stepsize. Additionally the demux.pl script was changed because it also chops after 6 digits. I simply changed:
> printf(NDX "%-20g",$t);
in the "pr_order" and "pr_revorder" subroutines to:
> printf(NDX "%-20.2f",$t);
and it works just fine.

Like I said the trajectories look fine, but I'm not really sure if it's actually correct that way. I would be happy if anyone would like to discuss this :)

Cheers,

Andi