[gmx-users] Re: Salt bridge Calculations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 2 18:40:07 CEST 2013

On 4/2/13 11:58 AM, Kavyashree M wrote:
> Sir,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply. I wanted to calculate
> Salt bridge in the whole protein so i am not mentioning the
> residues involved. The problem with g_saltbr was that if I
> have to calculate the accessibility of these atoms it will be
> a problem because it gives the charge groups but not exact
> atoms.
>
> This is the reason I thought of using g_hbond. But I wanted
> clarification from experts in using this method.
>
> So Is there any problem if I use g_hbond?

Does this really give you any useful information?  You'll get an output file
with putative contacts derived from an arbitrary cutoff for any possible
positive-negative pair defined in the index group.  I think the g_dist approach
is far more useful and gives you exact insight into specific pairs.  It takes a
bit more prep work, but looping the calculations is trivial to do to make them
efficient.

-Justin

> Thank you
> kavya
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM, bipin singh <bipinelmat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can use g_dist with specific atoms indices to calculate distances,
>> if you already have the information about atoms involved in salt
>> bridge interactions.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Kavyashree M <hmkvsri at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear users,
>>>
>>> Kindly clarify my doubt regarding salt bridge calculation.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Regards
>>> Kavya

>>> --
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>>

>> --
>> * Please search the archive at

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080