[gmx-users] Gromacs 4.5.4 and Gromacs 4.5.5 give different results

sarupria sapna.sarupria at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 20:30:25 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I have a naphthalene + water system which I want to run a NPT simulation of.
The system has been energy mininimized. When I run the NPT simulation using
gromacs 4.5.5 the simulation runs fine, but when I attempt to run the same
simulation using 4.5.4 it crashes with lincs error.  We have tried various
things like energy minimizing multiple times using 4.5.4 but it still
crashes. I have also changed the thermostat and barostat to Berendsen, the
problem persists.

Has anything changed between the two versions that could lead to this
trouble? I am pasted the mdp file below and also the last few lines of the
error message I get from Gromacs 4.5.4.

Thanks for your help.
Sapna

************ MDP FILE *********
title               =  NPH + water              ; a string
dt                  =  0.002                    ; time step
nsteps              =  12500000                  ; number of steps
comm-grps           =  system
comm-mode           =  Linear
nstcomm             =  10                       ; reset c.o.m. motion
nstxout             =  000                      ; write coords
nstvout             =  000                      ; write velocities
nstlog              =  2500                     ; print to logfile
nstenergy           =  500                      ; print energies
xtc_grps            =  System
nstxtcout           =  1000
nstlist             =  10                       ; update pairlist
ns_type             =  grid                     ; pairlist method
coulombtype         =  PME
rvdw                =  1.00                     ; cut-off for vdw
rcoulomb            =  1.00                     ; cut-off for coulomb
rlist               =  1.00                     ; cut-off for coulomb
Tcoupl              =  Nose-Hoover
ref_t               =  280.0
tc-grps             =  System
tau_t               =  0.5
DispCorr            =  EnerPres                 ; long range correction
gen_vel             =  yes                       ; generate init. vel
gen_temp            =  280                      ; init. temp.
gen_seed            =  372340                   ; random seed
constraints         =  h-bonds                   ; constraining bonds with H
constraint_algorithm = lincs
refcoord-scaling    =  no
Pcoupl              =  Parrinello-Rahman
Pcoupltype          =  isotropic                ; pressure geometry
tau_p               =  1.0                      ; p-coupoling time
compressibility     =  4.5e-5                   ; compressibility
ref_p               =  1.0                      ; ref pressure
nsttcouple          =  1
nstpcouple          =  1

Program mdrun_sp, VERSION 4.5.4
Source code file: constr.c, line: 176

Fatal error:
Too many LINCS warnings (4811)
If you know what you are doing you can adjust the lincs warning threshold in
your mdp file
or set the environment variable GMX_MAXCONSTRWARN to -1,
but normally it is better to fix the problem