[gmx-users] Gromacs 4.5.4 and Gromacs 4.5.5 give different results

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 27 21:05:32 CEST 2013

On 6/27/13 2:30 PM, sarupria wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a naphthalene + water system which I want to run a NPT simulation of.
> The system has been energy mininimized. When I run the NPT simulation using
> gromacs 4.5.5 the simulation runs fine, but when I attempt to run the same
> simulation using 4.5.4 it crashes with lincs error.  We have tried various
> things like energy minimizing multiple times using 4.5.4 but it still
> crashes. I have also changed the thermostat and barostat to Berendsen, the
> problem persists.
>
> Has anything changed between the two versions that could lead to this
> trouble? I am pasted the mdp file below and also the last few lines of the
> error message I get from Gromacs 4.5.4.

Well, according to the release notes
(http://www.gromacs.org/About_Gromacs/Release_Notes/Versions_4.5.x), in version
4.5.5:

"Many small fixes which avoid termination with fatal errors or crashes in mdrun
and tools."

Small bugs are constantly getting fixed.  I see no compelling reason to use an
outdated version (4.5.4) when a slightly less outdated version (4.5.5) works
correctly.

-Justin

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080