[gmx-users] How to choose bd_fric value in brownian dynamics

Dr. Vitaly Chaban vvchaban at gmail.com
Wed May 29 17:35:36 CEST 2013

Hello Mohan -

I do not use Brownian dynamics code routinely to have exact values for
various cases, but if I were you, I would start with smaller value and then
increase, until your simulation runs fine. The time-step depends not on the
method, but on characteristic oscillations (bond lengths, etc) in your
system, so maybe 2fs is just too much for your case. Although one, in
principle, can scale the force and apply a large time-step, it will not
bring any performance gain at the very end.

It is my impression that there are very few people in the community,  who
use BD engine in GROMACS. Why don't you want to use molecular dynamics?

Dr. Vitaly Chaban